Campaign for Appalachian Summary
The Campaign for Appalachian raised $203,593,769 in support of academics, the arts and athletics at Appalachian State University, surpassing its $200 million goal.
About the gifts
- More than half of the campaign total – $112,484,191 – came from cash and in-kind gifts.
- 10 professorships were established.
- $107.6 million was directed to program support across the university.
- $9.8 million was designated for programs and activities that support faculty and staff.
- $45.7 million was earmarked for scholarship support.
- $32.7 million was contributed to support new facilities or the renovation of facilities on campus.
About the Campaign for Appalachian
The Campaign for Appalachian was the university’s largest fundraising effort to date. The previous campaign, The Campaign for the Second Century, concluded in December 2002 after exceeding its original $50 million goal by raising $83.2 million.
“It was a group effort,” Carole Wilson ’75, a member of Appalachian State University’s Board of Trustees and co-chair of the campaign steering committee, said of work undertaken by university volunteers, board members and fundraising staff.
“It has taken the entire Appalachian Family to exceed the $200 million goal. I especially am grateful for the invaluable assistance of the campaign steering committee and campaign co-chairs Brad and Carole Wilson, members of the Board of Trustees, Appalachian State University Foundation, Board of Visitors and Appalachian Alumni Council,” she said. “Their guidance helped my team in University Advancement exceed our fundraising goal.”
Campaign steering committee
Of the 121,612 individual gifts and pledges made to the Campaign for Appalachian, six from the campaign’s steering committee members already are making – or will make – a significant impact at Appalachian. The gifts and pledges were designed to support scholarships, build or improve buildings, and enhance existing programs. Learn more
- Brad ’75 and Carole ’75 Wilson, co-chairs
- George G. Beasley ’58
- Avery B. Hall ’93
- Martha Ann Murray
- Walter V. Murray
- Don Phillips ’72
- Pat Phillips
- Alice G. Roess
- Bonnie Schaefer
- Jamie Schaefer
- Michael Steinback
- Cathy Steinback
- J. Douglas Williams ’83
About the donors
- 121,612 individual gifts and pledges were made to the Appalachian State University Foundation in support of the university.
- 18,945 alumni contributed or pledged $72,229,284 to the campaign.
- Commitments from 2,554 corporations and foundations totaled $55,580,335.
- 10,148 parents contributed or pledged $24,617,558.
- 8,438 friends of the university contributed or pledged $56,264,122.
- 1,846 current and former faculty and staff contributed $6,321,929.
- 2,356 students donated $70,147.
NOTE: Donors were counted in more than one category depending on their university affiliation, i.e. employee and alumnus, parent and alumnus, etc.